Spirit Point Acupuncture
On March 4, 2020, the Council of Colleges of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (CCAOM) issued a statement regarding the responsible containment of COVID-19. In the interest of being compliant with CCAOM recommendations and protecting the health of our patients (and indirectly the greater community), we have decided to embrace these recommendations.
We are concerned about the novel Corona virus. We are even more concerned about the potential for the mismanagement of public health. And so we are being highly vigilant in order to protect you in the best ways we know how while still providing care for you.
We still believe a healthy immune system and healthy lifestyle (and eliminating any impediments to these) are the best lines of defense against any disease. That means eating well, hydrating well, participating in moderate exercise, and getting quality sleep. Of course, we should all be washing our hands and practicing social distancing. Studies also prove that regular acupuncture helps to maintain a healthy immune system. Herbs and supplementation also support immunity. These remain our “go-tos.”
As a health care clinic, however, we also have an obligation to protect the public health. And so, we are implementing the following:
· If you (or anyone accompanying you) are showing any signs of respiratory infection (fever, sore throat, cough, allergy-like symptoms, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing), we ask that you cancel your appointment as soon as you are exhibiting these signs. If notice is given with less than 48 hours, we will waive your cancellation fee. If you arrive at the clinic exhibiting any of these symptoms, your session will be cancelled and you will be sent home.
· If you are not engaging in social distancing, we regret that we cannot see you in this practice at this time. Our patients are relying on our integrity when we tell them we are doing everything we can to screen people and make sure there is as minimal risk to them as possible in this clinic.
· If you have recently traveled or have guests from out of town, we will cancel your appointment and reschedule you in three weeks.
· Tissues are provided in each room, the waiting room, and at the front desk. We ask that you especially use them for coughing and sneezing etiquette. A wastebasket is provided in each room as well.
· We ask that all patients wash their hands upon arrival at the clinic. Hand washing time should take 20 seconds, or the time it takes to sing “Happy Birthday.”
· We have created Telemedicine options as an alternative for those who may not be able to come in at this time. These include phone consultations for western or eastern herbal formulas and supplements, which are shipped directly to your home via our on line pharmacies.
· If State or Federal regulation require us to stop seeing patients at the clinic during this crisis, we plan to remain open through a virtual presence. Patients may schedule and meet directly with me online to receive recommendations for self-care, supplements, herbs, Qi Gong and meditation practices, and dietary counseling. For those who are doing deeper esoteric work with me, including, but not limited to Enneagram work, I am also planning on seeing people online for esoteric consults and spiritual direction. I will also be doing personalized Bach Flower formulas for patients online. If you do not have internet capabilities, we can also meet by telephone. Please do not feel you will be abandoned during this time. I will not allow that to happen. We just may need to find creative ways to make this work.
· Please note I am limiting my days and hours in order to take better care of myself so I can be here to take care of you. I must practice what I preach. Patients will also no longer be overlapping in the clinic for your protection. This means your preferred appointment time may not be available. I ask that you try to plan ahead and also be patient. I thank you for understanding.
· If you have pronounced respiratory symptoms, please know we are referring these patients to their Primary Care Provider, as recommended by the CDC.
As the current public health situation changes, please understand our policy will change to reflect that.
There are some effective herbal formulas that boost immunity and also treat viruses. Some are still available through our online pharmacy, but as days pass, they are becoming less readily available. This is not because they come from China (our supplies do not), but simply because practitioners are stocking up more than they ordinarily would. So if there is anything you anticipate needing, or would like to ask about, please let us know and I will confer with you and send you a link to order whatever you need to have on hand to keep healthy.
I am grateful and honored to be here to support you through this remarkable time in history. I’d like to think I’m good in a crisis and have been told I am. I lived through 9/11 in New York, and yet this is a learning curve for all of us. May we all be centered during this time of global transition. In every challenge lies an opportunity for growth and higher consciousness. May this current challenge teach us all how to be kinder to one another and to take good care of our most precious gift – our health.
I am here for you.
In the spirit of health and service,
Maria Mandarino, LAc, DipAc (NCCAOM), LMT, CSD, MSEd